The focus of the Department of Public Works (DPW) is to provide for the needs of the public in the most cost effective and efficient way possible. Our staff is committed to providing a high level of service to the community and to ensure the safe operation and maintenance of the Town’s infrastructure.

Public Works Director: 

Office Location: 49 Center Street, Brandon VT 05733

Contact Information: Office Phone: (802) 247-3635 ext. 210



Highway Department

Highway Foreman:  Shawn Erickson

Highway Garage Location:  356 Champlain Street

Contact Information: Garage phone –  802-247-3600


Hours: 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM

The Highway Department maintains approximately 76 miles of road (of which 30 miles is gravel), 22 bridges and approximately 300 culverts and catch basins.


Wastewater Department

Chief Operator: Stephen Cijka

Treatment Plant Location: 500 Union Street

Contact Information: Plant Phone – 802-247-6730

                                       Emergency Pager – 802-283-7280


Hours: 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM / 7:00 AM – 11:00 AM (Weekends & Holidays)

The Wastewater Department maintains approximately 22 miles of sewer main, 6 pump stations and approximately 100 manhole structures. The Wastewater Plant treats approximately 300,000 gallons of waste daily.


DON’T FLUSH YOUR MONEY AWAY. Click here for important information.

Click here for Don’t Flush It! Volume 1: Cloggers

Click here for Don’t Flush It! Volume 2: Drugs & Personal Care Products

Click here for Don’t Flush It! Volume 3: Lawn & Garden Poisons


DPW Permit Information

“Before undertaking any construction Within the Town of Brandon right-of-way,

please contact the Public Works Director as your project may require permits

and/or damage deposits”

Access Permits: An access permit, also known as a driveway permit or curb cut permit, is required for all residential drives, commercial drives and private roads that connect to a town highway to include: construction of a new access; improvements to an existing access to accommodate a change of use or an increase in traffic (for example: converting a temporary logging access to a residential drive); alteration or reconfiguration of an existing access (for example: increasing the width of a drive).

Prices: Review – $65;  Damage Deposit- $300

the access application is available here

Excavation Permits: An excavation permit, also known as a road opening permit, is required when excavating in any portion of a Town Highway right-of-way.  The Town’s right-of-way is usually 3 rods wide (49 ½ feet).

Prices: Review – $65;  Damage Deposit – $300;  Resurfacing – varies

the excavation application is available here

Sewer Tap and/or Reserved Sewer Capacity Permits: A sewer tap and /or reserved sewer capacity permit is required for any new connection to the municipal sewer system.  A permit is also necessary to reserve additional sewer capacity for an existing connection (for example: construction of an addition or a change in use such as converting a residential home to a veterinary clinic) or to retap (connect a new lateral) to the Town’s sewer main.

Prices: Review – $65;  Damage Deposit – $250;  Sewer Capacity – $2.79 per gallon

the sewer application is available here

For additional permit information please contact the following:

      • Access, Excavation or Sewer Permits

Brandon Public Works Director

(802) 247-3635 ext. 210

      • Municipal Water Permits

Raymond Counter, Brandon Fire District #1 Water Superintendent

(802) 247-3311 or (802) 236-6169

      • Vermont Dept. of Environmental Conservation Permits

Rick Oberkirch, Permit Specialist

(802) 282-6488

      • Local Land Use (Zoning) Permits

Jeffrey M. Biasuzzi, Brandon Zoning Administrator

(802) 247-3635 ext. 202