The Office of the Town Clerk

The Office of the Town Clerk provides information and quality services to the residents of Brandon. The Town Clerk works in conjunction with other Town departments to satisfy residents’ concerns while meeting state and local statutes. Both Sue and Luanne are available to answer questions about the town and to direct you where you can obtain the necessary information.

Town Clerk: Sue Gage
Town Treasurer: Sue Gage

802-247-3635 ext. 203
Fax: 802-247-5481

Assistant Town Clerk: Luanne Merkert
Assistant Town Treasurer: Luanne Merkert
Tel: 802-247-3635 ext. 204
Fax: 802-247-5481

click here for Election Information, Results and General Voting Information


Online Land Records
The Town of Brandon has joined the Vermont Town Clerks Portal in an effort to make town government more accommodating to your busy schedule. Although the Town Offices are open everyday from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM sometimes it just doesn’t work for you. Now it does – 24/7. The process is very user-friendly. Now you can access indexed information for land records and other recorded information maintained by the Town Clerk’s Office. Click here, set up an account, and you are ready to go. It’s as easy as that.


Vital Records – Certified Copies of Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates

Certified copies of birth and death records may be requested from the Brandon Town Clerk or any town clerk in the State of Vermont in addition to the Vermont Department of Health and the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA).  All Clerks now have access to the statewide system, so you may request death and birth certificates from any clerk in the state.  You must fill out an application before acquiring a certified copy and you must present a valid ID with the application.  This is for birth and death certificates only.  The application can be accessed here.

Certified copies of marriage records (all years) can also be requested from the clerk of the town where the event took place.

Marriage License Application:
There is an application that needs to be completed.  The marriage license application is available here or it can be picked up at the town office or mailed or faxed.  We ask that you submit the completed application as early as possible and then pick it up during the week prior to the big day.   At that time the couple will be asked to sign and pay the fees which are currently $60.00 for the license and $10.00 for an optional certified copy.  Vermont residents need to apply for a marriage license in the town that either party resides in.  Once the license has been issued individuals can then be married anywhere in the state.  Those getting married from out of state can get the license from any town or city clerk and then be married anywhere in the state.  The license is valid for 60 days from the date it is issued.  If the marriage doesn’t take place within that time period, the couple would have to reapply and pay the fees again.  After the service has been performed, the officiant will then complete their section and return to the town of origin.

To print out a list of JUSTICES OF THE PEACE for Civil Marriages, please click here.

Voter Registration Information:
Vermont Secretary of State Jim Condos has announced the roll-out of the new Elections Management Platform. This platform has three main parts:
• Elections Management System (EMS) – includes a new statewide voter checklist and other resources and tools to be used by town and city clerks across Vermont to conduct all of their election related business – from registering voters, to processing absentee ballot requests, to entering election results;
• New Online Voter Registration Tool – allows all eligible Vermonters to submit their voter registration application online anytime and anywhere they can access the internet; and
• New “My Voter Page” – online resource that allows every registered voter to login and have access to a unique, voter-specific web page where they can request an absentee ballot, track its status, update their voter registration record, find their polling place, view a sample ballot, and much more.

The online voter registration page can be found at and the My Voter Page login can be found at

To print out a voter registration application, please click here or contact the Brandon Town Clerk.

Green Mountain Passport:
Vermont residents that are 62 and over may get a Green Mountain Passport that gives them free access to state parks, historical sites and museums throughout the state.  There is a one-time $2.00 fee and a short application to be filled out and you will leave with your card in hand. Stop by the Town Office to complete the application or click here to print it out  and bring it with you.

Important Dates:
LICENSE DOGS by April 1st in the Town Clerk’s Office. If your dog is over 6 months old MALE: $13.00 FEMALE: $13.00 NEUTERED MALE: $9.00 SPAYED FEMALE: $9.00 (Includes $5.00 fee for State of Vermont). After April 1st, fee is 50% more. BE SURE TO BRING A CURRENT RABIES CERTIFICATE.

PROPERTY TAXES DUE – Property taxes assessed upon the grand list of the Town of Brandon are due quarterly: August 15, November 15, February 15, and May 15 each year. Payments made after the quarterly due dates are assessed 1% interest monthly, and balances due after May 15th, are subject to an 8% penalty as well as interest. Please bring your tax notice with you or enclose it with your remittance.  Taxpayers are requested to save themselves and others much inconvenience by making payments as early as possible instead of waiting for the last day.


Credit Card / Debit Card:  Visit This Page

**Please note: This service allows you to pay your Town of Brandon property tax/sewer payments electronically and is a service of Value Payment Systems. All payments are processed immediately and the payment date is equal to the time you complete your transaction. A convenience fee of 2.50% ($3.95 min.) of the payment amount, $3.95 for personal Visa debit card or $1.75 for echecks is charged by Value Payment Systems for using this service.

Quarterly Property Tax Direct ACH Payment Option: Property tax payers also have the option of having their quarterly tax payments taken directly from their checking account.  Request a form from the office or click here print it out and return it along with a voided check or deposit slip to 49 Center Street, Brandon, VT  05733.  The payment will be taken from the account you specify each quarter on the due date, or the next business day if the due date falls on a weekend or holiday.  Call us at 802-247-3635 with any questions.

Vehicle Registration Renewals
Vehicle registration renewals:  Brandon is one of several towns in the state that offers this service.  We can renew the current plus two prior months, anything older than that would have to be done directly through the DMV.  You will need the renewal form the DMV sends you along with a check or money order made out to VT DMV for the renewal amount.  We forward these weekly to the DMV therefore we can’t accept cash.   There is also a $3.00 fee to the town which can be either check or cash, but needs to be separate from the renewal fee.  If you have access to a computer and printer you can save yourself time and money by going to DMV Express at and renew on line using a debit or credit card.  Keep the receipt from this transaction in your car – it is good for 10 days.  You should have the original form and plate sticker from DMV within 5-7 days.